Friday, May 06, 2011

A reminder from Angry Black Lady: Put your damn helmet on.

I like to read ABL's blog and there must be some zeitgeist in the air with all the talk about National Bike Month because she just posted about helmet safety:

If my car and your bike meet — even if it’s your fault, even if it’s no one’s fault — I will never sleep again. I will see your blood, your broken face, your weeping children, your shattered parents every day and every night for the rest of my life. Because I was behind the wheel, because my car happened to get all messed up in your search for some kind of freedom in which the needs of no one else (least of all your parents or children) were a factor.

She raises a good if brutal point: people who do not wear helmets are complicit in their own demise.  I used to be one of those people.  But not anymore!  I promised on her blog that I would wear a helmet from now on:

yep, yep, I hear you. And I am one of those helmetless riders of which you speak. It’s pretty dumb and I have actually wiped out all on my own without any help and gotten a concussion once. I would like to take this opportunity to promise right here and now that I will wear my helmet from now on.

It's true!  I was coming home late after getting off from work and my foot missed the pedal and before I knew it I was flat on my back under my bicycle and my head had bounced at least once off the pavement.  That whole night trying to sleep was like being washed around by ocean tides everytime I rolled over - my brains were scrambled and I am lucky that I woke up the next day. I have another horror story but I'll save that for another rant.

So, I promised on ABL's blog and I am promising on my own: from here on out I will wear my helmet when riding. 'nuf said.

2 comments:

jillian said...

Oh no! I was just getting comfortable enough to ride without my helmet. Guess I'll keep wearing it!

Mistressmybae said...

I'm so glad you are the more responsible one in this conversation; I went for so long without a helmet that I feel I should no longer tempt fate - esp. after the harrowing concussion story I recounted.

Chicago's Active Transportation Alliance (known in "Quite Possibly Links" as Chicagoland Bicycle Federation) used to have a hilarious poster campaign for why you need to wear a helmet. Couldn't find it but it seems they've switched foci a bit.

Anyway, look on Google for "Brain Helmet" and you'll be reminded of why you wear one!