Saturday, July 09, 2011

Wattmeter

Just returned the Wattmeter I borrowed from our public library.  This is a great new resource and I'd be curious to know if other public libraries in other states have these.  It's a device you plug into an outlet and then attach the appliance you want to test to see how much energy it uses and how much it costs to run.  It is already set to GRU's Kwh price (.032) so all you have to do is follow the instructions.  Because I did this in between other wheel-spinning around my house, I only got to test my laptop and my cordless phone charger.  The laptop was surprisingly low, costing about 15 dollars a year to run, while the phone charger was about 30/yr.  Now, I may have those numbers wrong and may have to revisit the wattmeter thing again, but it was interesting to try this gadget out; actually, I don't think I'll get a chance to retest these appliances anytime soon, because there is a big ol' waiting list for the thing.

No comments: