Saturday, July 09, 2011

Different Summer, Different Sandals

Last summer I was all about my Okabashis, and my favorite comment was by alert reader, Tammy, who told the best story in the world about looking at Okabashis one day at the drugstore, so I encourage you to read it because it was totally the "ut."

This year, I splurged on a pair of Birkenstocks, because it is the 7th initiation rite in belonging to Gainesville.  My son, DJ (short for "Dude Junior"), because he is growing like a sprout, started wearing them when I wasn't looking, and I went for hours in sadness because I did not have my Birkies.  Anyhow, I finally broke down and bought him a pair of his own and in retrospect I should have gotten him a pair in my size because he still steals mine.  What's it going to be like when he's in high school?!

Here is a link to last year's post about the Okabashis (similar photo!) - I'm waiting for him to realize that wearing the same sandals as your moms is uncool.  Maybe it isn't anymore?

4 comments:

jillian said...

Heh, heh... 7th initiation rite - I like that! I bought my first pair of Birkies when I was visiting Key West. I was wearing bad flats, and my brother in law had us walking so much that my pinky finger went numb. The next day we went to the Birkenstock store for a pair of emergency sandals!

I wore those sandals all the time when I lived in Florida. These days, I usually wear mary jane style flats. I've also developed a fondness for pod type toning sneakers; I don't know if they tone, but they seem to reduce ankle/foot pain and fatigue.

Mistressmybae said...

Ah! I've wondered about those toning sneakers - might have to try them. I'm typically really rough on my feet but I like the Birkenstocks about the same as the Okabashis - it was just nice to finally ascend to Birkies.

I wish I could say Gainesville was a Birkenstock-wearing Hippietown, but it's really not. I felt rather like an anachronism when wearing them to teach class, but I kind of dig that, as well.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Oh Birkies. Imagine how alien I feel wearing them in Lake City. Imagine how alien I feel in Lake City. Imagine Lake City.

Mistressmybae said...

Try not to think about Lake City and you have my sympathies, although I've met some very nice people from Lake City.