Friday, July 29, 2011

Bicycle Helmets: When to replace?

Via FaceBook, bike blogger Jillian sends this link from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute for when to replace your helmet.  It's a lot more detailed, but here's the bullet list:


  • Did you crash it? Replace immediately.

  • Did you drop it hard enough to crack the foam? Replace.

  • Is it from the 1970's? Replace.

  • Is the outside just foam or cloth instead of plastic? Replace.

  • Does it lack a CPSC, ASTM or Snell sticker inside? Replace.

  • Can you not adjust it to fit correctly? Replace!! 

  •  I need a new helmet.

    2 comments:

    jillian said...

    Thanks for the link!

    You seriously need to replace that helmet. I vote for matching nutties for you and the little bean, but I totally understand if you choose a helmet with lots of vents. I really like how the nutcases fit and don't hurt the top of my head, but vents are important in this heat! Just promise me you won't choose a $200 helmet!

    Mistressmybae said...

    You are so right - I like the Nutcase helmets but I need to get a Floridian's opinion on the design and whether the lack of vents could be a problem during the Florida summers (not that I ride a whole heck of a lot at this time of year!).

    Thanks, as always, for your input and comments!