Saturday, July 09, 2011

Are CSAs Worth the Money?

So, I've been thinking about joining the Swallowtail Farm CSA in the Fall (The Gator Share CSA starts in the beginning of October and runs to the end of April) and am kind of having a hard time swallowing the 480-dollars that you need upfront in order to get a share in the harvest.  It's 7 months, or roughly 69-dollars a month, and I'm not sure we eat 69-dollars worth of vegetables a month.

We do eat vegetables, but sometimes we have to rely on frozen veggies for dinner; I realize that that's not such a bad thing, but fresh would be totally better.  And thank goodness DJ is one of those kids who likes broccoli and carrots, two of the easiest veggies for us to prepare, so I know he's getting something wholesome in addition to the rest of the crap he eats. 

Starting tomorrow, I will be logging how much our family spends on vegetables, frozen or otherwise, and figure out if this is a good option for us.  Of course, you have to take into consideration that joining the CSA might be more than what we spend at Ward's or Publix, but the fact that it's local, it's farmers market fresh, and it's sustainably cultivated is worth a few extra dollars.

Here's a link for CSA's in Florida.

4 comments:

jillian said...

There are some CSAs in my city and some of them offer tiers, smaller amounts at a different price. In my neighborhood, a few people go in on it together, and split up the veggies. This may be an option for you.

CSAs always seemed too expensive for me, but that was before my new food experiment (now I eat tons of veggies!) I go through food phases, though, so I don't know that I could commit to pre-ordering food. I might stick with going to the farmers market on Fridays.

Through my volunteer work with a local neighborhood group, I learned last year that the government gives out produce vouchers to be used at farmers markets and food co-ops, but most of them go to waste because people don't know how to prepare the food or just prefer junk food. I doubt you would qualify for this need-based program, but it is worth investigating.

Mistressmybae said...

The splitting the CSA with other neighbors on my street might be an option - guess after I figure out how much we spend in a month I might consider it. I go through phases, as well, and sometimes the produce just rots in the crisper because I don't feel like making it, or forget, or a million other excuses.

Our county gives out vouchers and they seem to get used because the farmers markets are even busier during the spring. There are some things that at least the 441 farmers market is doing that will go a long way to making it easier for farmers and voucher recipients, in the form of market tokens. I don't think I've covered this, but about year ago I went out to the High Springs farmers market and they were already doing this - they're plastic coins that are worth different denominations. The folks getting the vouchers trade them in for the equivalent coin amounts and then they can use these as currency. It's really simplified things for all concerned because they are exchanged as real money.

They probably do this at your market, but the county extension and some of the farmers give away recipe sheets or cards with different ways to prepare whatever is in season. I'm one of those clueless few who has never learned how to cook most veggies, so I'm always asking the folks I buy from how to prepare stuff.

I'm going back to High Springs market this week so I'll see if I can report back (and find some of the photos I took last year!).

jillian said...

Actually, I only know about this because a rep from a local farmer's market project presented on food security and their efforts in the community. They also try to have people do live presentations at the market. This is something that the market in East Allegheny has started to do this year. A local chef is demonstrating recipes each Friday at the market. I'm sorry I missed last week, but the weather was pretty bad.

I feel horrible throwing away veggies, but some seem to go bad almost instantly! I find that spinach, peppers, carrots and onions are great staples for me to have in the fridge. They don't turn as fast as other veggies and they are very versatile

There are many veggies I have no clue on how to prepare. Thankfully, I have access to the internet. As I type, there are some fava beans waiting in the fridge for me to learn how to cook them!

Mistressmybae said...

Thanks for all your input on this, Jillian! Farmers markets are such great resources, and seem to be one of those community-run enterprises that invites participation inside and outside of the community. Very exciting to think about, in terms of opportunities to help educate your neighbors about projects that help the community.

Fava beans! I wonder if they're tasty - hope the preparation goes smoothly :)