Thursday, July 21, 2011

Update on bulk soaps at Citizen's Co-op

So I reported last week that me and DJ took a first shopping trip to our shiny, brand-new cooperative food store, Citizen's Co-op.  That trip we concentrated on bulk food items; today I ran in with a couple of containers to get castile soap and Charlie's laundry soap.  I was a little disappointed that they did not have a huge bucket of castile soap and instead had gallon jugs of Dr. Bronner's; don't get me wrong, I grew up on Dr. Bronner's almond-scented liquid soap (which I bought today, in fact) but it would have been cheaper to have gotten it in larger bulk.  It was still pretty cheap, though; an 8-ounce bottle was $2.80USD (they charge by bottle size).  The Charlie's soap came in liquid and powder; I'm used to the powder so that is what I got - it was about 7-dollars for a smallish OxyClean bucket - about 15 scoops.  I actually should have been more scientific about it and DANG IT! I threw away the receipt.  Why did I do that???  Okay, now I have to go back and get the price breakdown.

Anyway, while I was there, the kind gentleman who helped me get the tare weights the last time helped me do this for my OxyClean container, and I mentioned that I didn't see any unscented castile soap.  He said they tried to get the Dr. B's Baby unscented but it didn't come in gallon jugs; I suggested they try to purchase Stephenson's organic castile soap.  Last time I bought it, it was around 22-dollars a gallon, and the price breakdown got better the more you got (they also had 5 gallon and 22-gallon barrels).  The gentleman said he would check into it; I think it would be a good choice for the store because I'm positive it would be cheaper in the long run to have at least a 5-gallon bucket of unscented than the gallon jugs of the Dr. Bronner's.  Also, I like to put my own fragrance in the castile soap, if I am of a mind.

In the end, I'm really glad that Citizen's Co-op has bulk soaps (forgot to mention they also have Charlie's All-Purpose Cleanser which I will have to try next) and that will be my go-to place for laundry and body wash from here on out!
Post a Comment