Thursday, July 21, 2011

Update on bulk soaps at Citizen's Co-op

So I reported last week that me and DJ took a first shopping trip to our shiny, brand-new cooperative food store, Citizen's Co-op.  That trip we concentrated on bulk food items; today I ran in with a couple of containers to get castile soap and Charlie's laundry soap.  I was a little disappointed that they did not have a huge bucket of castile soap and instead had gallon jugs of Dr. Bronner's; don't get me wrong, I grew up on Dr. Bronner's almond-scented liquid soap (which I bought today, in fact) but it would have been cheaper to have gotten it in larger bulk.  It was still pretty cheap, though; an 8-ounce bottle was $2.80USD (they charge by bottle size).  The Charlie's soap came in liquid and powder; I'm used to the powder so that is what I got - it was about 7-dollars for a smallish OxyClean bucket - about 15 scoops.  I actually should have been more scientific about it and DANG IT! I threw away the receipt.  Why did I do that???  Okay, now I have to go back and get the price breakdown.

Anyway, while I was there, the kind gentleman who helped me get the tare weights the last time helped me do this for my OxyClean container, and I mentioned that I didn't see any unscented castile soap.  He said they tried to get the Dr. B's Baby unscented but it didn't come in gallon jugs; I suggested they try to purchase Stephenson's organic castile soap.  Last time I bought it, it was around 22-dollars a gallon, and the price breakdown got better the more you got (they also had 5 gallon and 22-gallon barrels).  The gentleman said he would check into it; I think it would be a good choice for the store because I'm positive it would be cheaper in the long run to have at least a 5-gallon bucket of unscented than the gallon jugs of the Dr. Bronner's.  Also, I like to put my own fragrance in the castile soap, if I am of a mind.

In the end, I'm really glad that Citizen's Co-op has bulk soaps (forgot to mention they also have Charlie's All-Purpose Cleanser which I will have to try next) and that will be my go-to place for laundry and body wash from here on out!

2 comments:

jillian said...

I see you said you were raised with Dr. Bronner's, but what made you stay with these kinds of soaps? Do you have allergies, or was it always an eco thing? I'm looking into transitioning to natural soaps to limit my exposure to estrogen, so I'm curious as to what made you choose these products.

Mistressmybae said...

The simple reason why I used Dr. Bronner's was that it smelled good and had the freaky label :)

Later, a friend of mine started using castile soap to wash dishes and I realized that it was a good, all around soap to use that was friendlier to the environment. The Stephenson's is unscented and organic; I scent this myself and my son likes to use it for his baths. I'm going to use the soap I got today for body wash and water it down for hand soap.