Friday, November 09, 2007

Old Futon Woes Once Again

Remember when I posted about recycling my futon? Okay, you probably don't, so here's the link to my original post about futon recycling. Well, that time I ended up not doing anything with the futon and eventually my husband hauled it to Goodwill, which gladly accepted it, milk-sippy stains and all. Now we have a cheap-ass futon we bought at Big Lots with a cheap-ass frame, and a floor model futon that we got for cheap at the local futon shop (here's a tip: Do NOT buy floor models no matter how much of a deal you get -- ours went completely flat within 6 months of use). We've got a little extra money coming in and so we're getting a new bedroom futon and frame. But what to do with the old one? I still cannot find any information on futon refurbishment. You'd think that in a country that prides itself on borrowing from other cultures, we would have borrowed a couple of futon refurbishers from their native Japan.

Here's a Metafilter thread on futon recycling that has some good ideas, such as making the futon into a dog bed (or two or three, depending on the size of your futon, I guess).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele -- Your husband here. I would like to recycle our old futon as a weightlifting tool.

I will roll it up and tie it with biodegradable string (maybe something hemp-based), then carry it around on my shoulders, bear-hug it, overhead press it, snatch it, and slam it into the ground. Repeatedly.

After that, I'll eat another 100 grams of whey protein (stolen from the cows), and pack on more useless, sexy muscle. Just because it makes me feel like a man.

Love,

Your husband

Mistressmybae said...

I don't know how you could think of your muscles as "useless." Is Michelangelo's David "useless?" Is Rodin's Thinker "useless?" Sir, I think not. Although, Rodin's Thinker in a cage match with Rodan might get his (its) ass kicked. I don't know how you would do in a cage match against Rodan, but that's beside the point. I love you and your useless, sexy muscles.

Love,
Your wife

Anonymous said...

Awww. I love you, too! And so do my muscles.

Your husband.

P.S. Michaelangelo's David needs a beer gut.