Sunday, October 15, 2006

recycling that futon

Now I'll finally know if the cheap-ass futon I bought on 23rd Street 12 yrs+ ago has a foam core like the salesguy said! That poor, flat lump of cotton has been lugged across three (four?) state lines and sentenced to death by a 100 sippies filled with milk. But it is still actually in pretty ok shape -- thank you not-so-cheap-ass futon cover! It is much like the picture to the right -- no, wait, it is exactly like the picture to the right.
So, anyway, I've been thinking about the futon's demise and what form it should take--and I gotta make it quick because we're going to have a cookout soon and people will be tripping over it, in its current unused state in the middle of our living room, hog-tied with twine. We've all seen the proverbial dead futon, lying by the trashcans, getting rained on for a fortnight or two, waiting for the trashman to throw it in the dump. I just can't bring myself to do it -- it's just a big hunk of reusable cotton batting, right?
You will not believe how little there is to Google about recycling futons, except in the sense of donating your flat-ass, old mattress to a homeless shelter. But, I did run across a curious article on Asahi.com (which I'm thinking is a website to help Japanese people with their English) that talks about how, since WWII, Japanese people have been throwing out their futons when, traditionally, they sent them to futon refurbishers. Lately, there have been efforts on the part of futon shop owners to re-introduce the kids to the concept of working to keep the futon through fluffing it up or mending it rather than tossing it in the trash heap where, says the article, "More than half a million are chucked every year in Tokyo alone." In addition to giving workshops on the benefits of refurbishing your futon, there have also been public events to recycle futon stuffing for making things like cushions. Fascinating!
You can be darn sure that, until the economic holocaust, American futon dealers will not be having no workshops on how to refurbish your flat ol' mattress. I think I'll make some throw pillows. Really, really big throw pillows.

And, now, your moment of Haiku.

Update: After fretting about the futon in the middle of our living room and realizing there wasn't a chance in heck that I was going to get around to making anything out of it, the old man carted it off to Goodwill where it was gladly accepted. It really wasn't that stained and still had some life to it, I guess. It's good to know that some thrift stores will take old futons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard at this blog entry. Thank you.

I was looking for info. on turning a futon mattress (after all these years, we now have 2 or 3 extra around the house) into cushions for a newly built window seat ... Couldn't find anything ... I tried to explain it to our alterer, who is Asian, but I was surprised to find out she didn't know what a futon was (oops, stereotype) and my husband dissuaded me from hauling it (probably, further, would have taken it an ominous-looking black contractor bag) over so she could take a look at it. He thought it might scare her ... I think we will take a pair of scissors to it ourselves and see what happens ...

Mistressmybae said...

Lol, it's funny what lengths we'll go to be sustainable. Here's the link to the metafilter discussion on futon recycling:

Here is the comment about recycling it into a dog bed that I thought most reasonable for your purposes:

Old futons do make excellent dog beds -- my dog is sitting on one my sister made (she made two for her dog too). I don't think it was really hard to cut it apart -- it was probably more work to make the cover.

I am sorry I don't know how you could find dog owners or people who sew to make use of it -- maybe craig's list? Maybe through the Humane Society?

I hope you do find someone who can put it to good use -- it's nice of you to try.
posted by nnk at 1:46 PM on July 17, 2007


I'd get a box cutter, cut it in half, and then whip-stitch the open end. Then I'd make a large pillow case for it.

Good luck with your project and feel free to email me with your results -- it would most definitely become a post for this blog!

Anonymous said...

I have had my futon for about 8 years and hate to landfill it. I am totally inspired now to make a window seat cushion and a dog bed! It's in the guest room now. My parents are the only one who sleep on the futon want to buy us a new one. My mom, who slept on the side that was always the back of the sofa thought it was comfortable. My dad always slept on the sitting side and he said it was uncomfortable. I am going to be rotating and fluffing that new futon so it lasts longer.

Mistressmybae said...

If you live in a large city you might consider seeing if there is a futon fluffer. Apparently they have them in Japan, folks who refurbish futons. I've bemoaned the lack of futon fluffers in the U.S. in the past, and yet my bemoans go unanswered.

The instructions for my new futon say to prop it up on chairs in the sunshine for a couple of hours every 5 weeks. Yeah, like that's going to happen...