Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Earth Hour, March 29, 2008, 8 pm

Holy cow! I've been meaning to blog about Earth Hour since I signed up for it, but of course have not done it until now -- and we've only got 52 DAYS, 8 HOURS, 30 MINUTES and some odd seconds!!! Gahhh!!!! I hate those countdown tickers...

Anyway, I signed up for Earth Hour because one of my Facebook compadres signed up for it -- that's kind of how these things happen, I've discovered, on Facebook. Someone takes the "80's and 90's Cartoon Trivia Quiz" and then you're checking their score and suddenly you're taking the "80's and 90's Cartoon Trivia Quiz" and comparing your scores with your Facebook friends and their Facebook Friends. And that's when you realize you completely suck at 80's and 90's cartoon trivia. Oh, and that you're also a complete dork.

Earth Hour is the brainchild of some Aussies "from down under" and was started when people in Syndey, Australia turned off their lights for one hour in March of 2007. Here's a blurb from their site:
On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour. This massive collective effort reduced Sydney's energy consumption by 10.2% for one hour, which is the equivalent effect of taking 48,000 cars off the road for one hour.
Wow. Those are impressive stats for one, large city in Australia. But, can they pull those kinds of numbers off all over the world? Now that would be something. Earth Hour is somehow connected to World Wildlife Fund, but I'm not sure how. Hmm, maybe I should look at some press releases. Yeah...like a journalist!

All I've got to say is, remember the primrose path other Aussies have walked us down in the past -- or, do I need to remind everyone about Men at Work?

No comments: