Thursday, September 22, 2011

Stars vs. Sierra Club

So, anyway, the other day I was finishing up getting every last smidge of flavor from my piece of chewing gum and wanted to get rid of it; so, like I always do, I rustled around in my bag for a piece of paper to wad up with my gum.  Too late!  I had wadded up my gum in a very important piece of paper!  Let me back up.

About a week or two ago I reported on all the sustainable freebies I got from the Sustainable UF tent on the Plaza of the Americas.  While I was talking to the nice lady at the counter about the group's efforts, I happened to ask her about another topic which I had reported on a ways back and which was sticking in my craw - why did UF not fill out the survey for Sierra Club's Cool Schools Environmental Campus ranking?  What I was told by the nice lady was that UF, along with some other schools, were using a different ranking system, put together by The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), called the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating system (STARS) and they asked the Sierra Club to use that survey data, which Sierra Club said they wouldn't do.  Lots of confusing acronyms!  So, anyway, this very important piece of paper that was now-wadded with a piece of chewing gum had the web address for the above STARS program.

Just wanted to get that information up - I'll have to come back to investigating this another time because I am swamped work-wise and I am, as you know, very, very lazy.

No comments: