Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Kickstand

I've reported on this great organization in the past (here and here) - now I'm actually volunteering with them.  I'm mostly doing their Facebook and website updates, but now I'm acting as a greeter at the tent they have set up at the Union Street Farmers Market on Wednesdays.  It's really fun!  And, my favorite bike mechanic, DD, decided to lend a hand, as well, so it was extra fun!  Met the wonderful organizer, Raj, and bicycle mechanic Alex, as well as a whole bunch of new people who needed their bikes fixed.  And no one gets turned away, even if they can't give us a couple of dollars for the bike mechanic work.  And it's kind of scary because The Kickstand needs to make at least 10-dollars a week because that's how much the tent rent is.  If you live in town and have some extra parts, tools, or a couple of dollars to spare, please consider visiting the tent - or just come by to say hi!

2 comments:

jillian said...

Awesome!!! I know a lot of folks that don't feel confident to wrench on their bikes. This will help get old bikes out of garages and being ridden!

Mistressmybae said...

It's a great group and I'm really glad I can finally help out - it's been around for 4 maybe 5 years? One fellow who is a regular visitor just came by to use the tools and put new pedals on his bike; Alex, one of the long-time vols showed me how to replace brake cable housing. We didn't have new endcaps for the housing so we had to cannibalize them from the old housing, but they still worked!