Monday, October 20, 2008

Ways to make coffee: Paper, cloth, or pure gold

I was tooling around on one of my favorite new blogs to read, Nom, nom, nom! and she was giving her take on how she makes coffee. I can relate because I use a death-dealing, bisphenol-A plastic Melita maker, as well. She combines paper filters with one of those gold filters (which she claims you can find at a garage sale but I have never, ever seen one). It's an ingenious method of putting the paper filter in the Melita maker, then puting the gold filter on top of that and then puting the coffee in the gold filter. That way she can get rid of the coffee grounds without damaging the paper filter and can reuse the paper filter because, let's face it, the gold filters by themselves suuuuuck...

A few months ago (when I was foot-loose and fancy-free; that has sadly ended) I posted about making a Melita-style filter using fancy cheese cloth and some old bias tape I had lying around. Boy, I wish I had more time to sew stuff, because I'd make that Nom, nom, nom! person a filter.

6 comments:

Nom, nom, nom! said...

goodlord, where have I been? I haven't visited since the wonderfulwonderfulcopenhagen post. No wonder nobody wants to make me a coffeefilter.

the bedazzler idea! SHEER GENIUS!

Anonymous said...

2 Crane Lane
Temple Bar
Dublin 2
Republic of Ireland
Tel. +353 1 672 9271


Hi Michele! How is it going?

I’ve just popped in your blog and I loved it! I’m from www.edenbee.com , have you ever heard of us before? Well, to sum up we are a green social networking site for people who want to reduce their carbon footprint. It would be great to be associated with you. We’re trying to build a community and would be great to have you on board! Let me know if you are interested.

Please send us a mail at info@edenbee.com
I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

Peter

Nom, nom, nom! said...

what the heeeeey, where's the pooooosts uuuuuugh i can't just keep reading my own stuff all daaaaaay post something pleeeeeeease.

Mistressmybae said...

Two, farm-fresh posts coming right up! We aim to please, here at the AE!

jonathan's people said...

Wow Michelle,
Great work on this post. We are trying to get the word out at my work about using this kind of stuff, and know that it is catching on like wild fire.
-Dillon from GreenHome.com

Bren said...

I have a gold basket-type filter, if you want to experiment with it (though it looks like you need the cone-type).