Sunday, October 12, 2008

Need-a-Bag? project update 10.11.08

Note: The Need-a-Bag? project was created to promote sustainable bagging at the Hwy 441 Alachua County Farmer's Market each Saturday morning. We supply reusable tote bags reclaimed from thrift stores and garage sales. The Need-a-Bag? project also utilizes old tank tops as tote bags by sewing up the bottoms (these are called t-totes). We invite you to read the other posts on the project by clicking the "Need-a-Bag? Project" label at the bottom of this post.

It was very misty at the farmer's market Saturday morning, and it looked like another weekend of low turnout. However, I've been noticing more of a variety of items for sale. I got some squash, zucchini, and eggplant. Starting today I'm going to try a new technique, preparing food on Sunday for some of the week, so we're not relying on frozen pizzas and take-out for most of it.

The market is melting, after all, and I'm going to have to live by my wits more. Maybe I should take the advice of my friend, Bren, and start using coupons and savings clubs to make ends meet. It's hard for me to spend that much mental energy on that form of money saving, but I might have to try!

Anyway, with the squash and zucchini I'm going to make no-noodle lasagna as per my friend's new dietary regimen that I'm trying for three months, to cut simple carbs and sugars from my life. Giving up bagels and M&M's is going to be hard, I'm afraid.

Anyway, we didn't put out new bags but we still had some from weeks ago. They're starting to get smaller in number so after the farmer's market we went to a few yard sales and started buying more of them up. DG even got some super deals.

Start looking for our new labels, as well. We've developed a new spiel to put on our labels, which will now be made from printable, sew-in fabric. Here's what the blurb now says:

The Need-a-Bag? Project provides free, clean, reusable shopping bags to Farmers Market shoppers. Please take as many bags as you need. Whenever they start to pile up at home, bring them by and toss them in our drop box so that we can wash and re-circulate them.

For more information and updates on the project, please go to:

http://theaccidentalenvironmentalist.blogspot.com


Thank you for supporting Need-a-Bag? and enjoy your shopping day!

Short, sweet, and to the point -- bring the bags back at some point, why don't you?! I apologize for getting testy and realize it is our fault for not making that point in the beginning; maybe now we can start phase two of the project, encouraging people to perpetuate the project's mission by allowing the bags to circulate and by beginning projects at their own farmers markets.

Like, we need someone for the Wednesday downtown market and if anyone wants to monitor and organize the project at that market we would help in any way we could, short of actually doing the work of being there every Wednesday. That's your job, soon-to-be-named Need-a-Bag? Project Pioneer!

"Men want to be him; women just want to touch him" -- quote and pic from Gator Envy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didnt think to sew my old tanks into bags! That would be especially handy when shopping for produce. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mistressmybae said...

I'm so glad we could provide a handy suggestion, Carla!

The tank totes are really useful -- they fold up into nothing so you can put them in your pocket, your handbag, and then they get really stretchy and can hold a lot of junk.

I have a t-tote that we made from the first batch we ever gave out for Need-a-Bag? and it is one of my favorite bags. And it's got a cool Playboy Bunny logo in pink on the front (well, that's kind of why we didn't give it away -- this little girl was all like, "Look mommy, a bunny!" and her mom was like, "..."
Needless to say, we immediately took it out of circulation.

So, my advice to you, Carla, is choose your t-tote materials carefully :)

Have fun!