Monday, March 03, 2008

Reusable Coffee Filters

DG and I were talking over the weekend about the reusable coffee filter she bought recently at Ward's. It's made of canvas, and it frequently clogs. We both use Melita coffee filters, and she is definitely the more environmentally conscious user; she puts a paper filter inside the reusable filter, and then washes the paper filter. She says she gets about two uses out of it. I don't know how she does it -- I try rinsing out my paper filter and it completely falls apart.

Anyway, so I've been mulling over the idea of how to construct a reusable coffee filter. Yesterday I tried a double thickness of cheese cloth nested in the Melita coffee cone and that worked exceedingly well. After taking DJ and the old man to school and work this morning I got to work on the filter. Should I be finishing up The Blithedale Romance for class on Wednesday? Yes, indeed. But no, fiber and machine exert its siren call on my seamstress soul.

So, this morning I made the filter. It took about half an hour. As you can see, I need to use wider bias tape to cover the edges more effectively; unfortunately, I don't think this prototype would last one washing.

My theory is that in order to make the reusable filters work, you'd need at least three; one to let dry a little so the coffee grounds will come out easier, so you can rotate a little better. I made a loop at the end so you could hang it to drain over the sink or dry after rinsing it out.

Note about the top picture: I uploaded this full-size, so you can click on it and get a more detailed look at the design.

Update: I had just come back from my run and decided that, besides a shower, I needed another cup of coffee and said, "what the heck?" I made it using the filter. It worked! It is a smooth cup of coffee, I might add -- at the usual strength using the 2 tablespoons of (gratuitous plug coming) Sweetwater Ethiopian that I usually use with the paper filter. I let the filter drain in the cone for a couple of minutes and then dumped the grounds in the compost container (that's another post that will have to wait, for now) and then hung it up. As you might be able to glean from the poorly-lit photo, I basically hung a bent paper clip from the cabinet, and put the filter on that to dry over the sink. Let's see how long the filter lasts, and in the meantime I might just make a few more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The secret of my re-using success is, I don't use Melita filters, I use the basket style (they're cheaper at the BigLots).

They suck. They don't fit right in the melita filter holder thing, so it takes the coffee longer to filter into the cup, plus you frequently get some overflow grounds--the coffee is like the last cup from a French press, namely full of sludge. You can wash them out about eight or ten times before they tear, though. The Melita filters work ten thousand times better but I can only use 'em twice before they tear. But whatever to all paper filters: I would like to have done with their ass and start using a cloth one that actually works.

Pls make mine a big cone double-size one for the big ol filter holder deal. If they work, I want a ton of them and I will pay anything up to $25 each. That's how tired I am of the idiotic jerryrigged 1/2-ass BS system I'm dealing with now.

I await with mad extreme interest the reusable cloth filter developments of the future!!

PS: if anybody reading this comment uses an auto-coffee maker with paper filters, re-use them to save hassle, money and trees.

Mistressmybae said...

I'm hearing aggravation in the last comment. I've used the basket filters in the Melita and yes, they do suck. Those things are even flimsier than the cone filters; I stand in awe of the anonymous commenter's ability to wash those bad boys out 30 times.

Also, if the anonymous commenter wants a #4 filter they'd better step up with a paper cone what I can use for a template.

Anonymous said...

I can't! I can't buy more paper cones, I'd go to hell! I swore on Metafilter that I never buy disposables, which is true in a sense, since I haven't bought any since I made that declaration. If I purchase more filters, I consign my soul to perdition. Cain't you just like extrapolate? You know, use the small cone and continue along the same trajectory another 2 inches or so? It's not like it has to be all perfect or nothin.