Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Footprints in the sand...

How big an environmental footprint are you making? I wanted to find out so took myself web-wise to Earthday Network where they have an Ecological Footprint Quiz. I took it a couple of years ago while taking a class about radical environmentalism and was kind of shocked at how much I was consuming -- but, of course, I forgot what my impact was at the time so I took it again. And, once again, I am horrified. Here are the results:

HERE ARE YOUR FOOTPRINT RESULTS:

CATEGORY GLOBAL ACRES
FOOD 3.5
MOBILITY 0.7
SHELTER 4.2
GOODS/SERVICES 4.4
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 13

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 GLOBAL ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXISTS 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.9 PLANETS.

It looks more impressive in the HTML version because they actually show the 2.9 planets we would apparently need if everyone lived like me.
Swiped the graphic from Redifining Progress

No comments: