Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Arm & Hammer Essentials Laundry Detergent


I don't like promoting products (and you're going to totally think I'm a hypocrite when I blog about Jansport in a minute), but I've been using a new Arm & Hammer product called Essentials Laundry Detergent. Arm & Hammer has always seemed, to me, to be the sane alternative to spending a ton of money on Seventh Generation detergent or some of the other "green" products on the market right now. And it has none of the crap in the maintstream detergents, i.e. no petroleum-based cleaners. This picture, by the way, is the only one I could swipe from the A & H site -- the Essentials bottle is a translucent green plastic with a dark green top.

Here's a link to a thread on Mothering.com about the product. The thing that the users on this thread complained about was the overpowering smell -- after using Purex for a long time I'm pretty used to strong, perfumy detergent smells -- and it does have a strong smell that sticks to clothes even after they come out of the dryer, which is something that hardly ever happens. I suppose the people at Church & Dwight will take this hint and start providing a non-scented version.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I work for ARM & HAMMER and wanted to add that they've just come out with a new dye-free, unscented and dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin version of Essentials called Essentials Free. It still has the same eco-senstive benefits and affordable cost.

Anonymous said...

I'm using Essentials with the mountain rain scent. It's quite lovely, and not overpowering at all.

And, it comes out in the rinse cycle.

Anonymous said...

However if you read the label closely there is a Warning and if you call their 800 line and ASK them if they add optical brightners the answer is yes. They won't tell you that unless you ask. Optical brightners bond irreversibly to the skin and pollute the enviroment. A & H also does their testing on animals. I for one love animals and think there has to be a better way to test products.

Cheryl C McNeil said...

I was looking at the warning labels on arm and hammer products as I am an avid environmentalist. I research everything that comes out saying it is green and safe for your family and the environment. I believe when something says call poison control on its warning label that it can't be safe for my family or the environment. With the green movement growing everyone wants in but at what cost? Check the warning labels and do your due diligence when buying what you believe to be safe products. The new essentials glass cleaner by arm and hammer and even the toothpaste won't win me over.

Mistressmybae said...

Hi Cheryl, thanks so much for posting with what is a very good tip, and one that we tend to overlook when buying any kind of cleaning product for our families.

We're so acclimated to just getting the product because it has "scrubbing bubbles" or a bald guy with an earring and we forget that these are potentially harmful products, to our selves, our families, and the environment.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.