Friday, June 22, 2007

100 Mile Diet

Once again, my compatriot "B" has given me yet another tip -- I'm like, "geez, do I find any of the cool stuff on my own?" The 100 Mile Diet is basically what it sounds like, making up what you eat from the resources within 100 miles of your town. Makes sense, doesn't it? When you think of how much crap we buy from far off lands and all the resources we use up just getting these items to our nation's supermarkets and grocery stores, it makes economic and environmental sense to purchase things from local growers. But not just veggies, also things like eggs, milk, and beef are also available in our area, you just have to look for it. "B," for example, has got a resource for buffalo meat and eggs and DG, as you know, doesn't set foot in the supermarket so she has located a lot these resources on her own, as well. Locally, our community has recently set up a Foodshed resource which gives you all of the information you need to shop for local and eat out local, too. When I find our more about the foodshed I'll blog about that, too.

Oh, and here's the link to the original post on long-traveling food sources.

No comments: