Friday, October 30, 2009

New Krishna Lunch Card

I've got a vegetarian bone to pick with the Krishnas who serve lunch on the University of Florida Plaza of the Americas. I have recounted my various positive and negative encounters with the Gainesville Krishnas in the past, but this one's got my karma-ridden blood up. Am I ready to throw down with the Krishna clan? Maybe.

I was all excited when I got to grad school because I was sooo close now to having Krishna lunches; at my old job at the law library it was too far away to even consider a leisurely Krishna lunch on the plaza. Now all my daily journeys take me within spitting distance of the Krishna lunch. So, the other day I decided to get a 30-dollar lunch card. As you can see from the above photograph, the top card is my old lunch card, with one precious lunch left. But look at the bottom, new card! They cut out the 10th lunch! Now I only have 9 lunches for my hard-earned 30-dollar donation! Okay, they jacked the price up to 4-dollars for the individual lunches so that makes my savings....lets me get the calculator here....so I'm only saving about 67-cents per meal, so my total savings is...6-dollars? Really? Hmm, maybe it's not so bad, after all.

3 comments:

Layla said...

I've never seen a lunch card like this before, they are interesting!

I liked their apple-strudel-like yummies they sold at the Uni!
(Come to think of it, they were individually wrapped in plastic bags - not so good!)

Mistressmybae said...

I've always wondered where else they had Krishna lunches. It's a big deal at UF and they just started a policy of giving back 25-cents if you bring your own lunch gear. Sometimes, however, they're a little stingy with giving the quarter back! They also use recycled paper plates and corn plastic utensils and cups.

Layla said...

WOW!! This is really cool of giving you $ if you bring your own lunch gear!!
Haven't heard of an establishment here in Slovenia (or anywhere in Europe lol) that does that!

I just considered myself lucky to get a meal at an event or cheese/meat in a shop in my reusable box without them complicating!! :)

Recycled paper and corn plastic are probably better than usual, I'm still not 100% certain how totally eco and biodegradable they are though..
Sorry to hear about them being stingy..

Haven't been at a Krishna lunch here, a friend sometimes visited them (like on 'open days') and was given banana wheat grits! (Odd but good, I tried to replicate it later on!) That was a few years ago, no idea if they have any proper lunches for people these days or not.. Probably not.. They are often seen singing at events though!