Thursday, October 22, 2009

October update on Charlie's Soap

So, I bought this humongous barrel of Charlie's Soap, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through, now. I'll probably use it all up in a year, so I think the 100 and something-odd dollars I paid for it (with free shipping) was well worth it. I started using fragrance oils to add a little scent to the clothes, and have not had any ill effects on the clothes. It also allows me to get rid of fragrance oils I bought for home-made bath products that I ended up not liking, so right now I'm using "Apple Jack and Orange Peel." While I didn't like it in soaps or lotions, it is working just fine as a laundry scent enhancer.

3 comments:

Layla said...

Do you add the essential oils to the laundry when it's being washed with soap nuts or..? (just curious)

Good to hear about good use of soap!
I ended up spending waay too much on almost-zero-waste soap this year too, and I even hate some of it (some of Lush), cause it smells too strongly!! (Plus everyone in the family hates it, and I don't dare to gift or donate it, sigh!) So, what to do with it?

Mistressmybae said...

I add fragrance oils (mostly the stuff that I buy from the web that I end up not liking) to the machine along with the soap. We have a Fisher-Paykel (sp?) washer which has a center well that you put the liquids and powders into; adding the FO that way helps disperse it in the water.

As for your Lush soap -- send it to meeeeeee! I lurv Lush. No, really, if the fams hates the soap, just use it for rags and heavy duty stuff like bath mats and rag rugs.

Layla said...

Oh, if you lived a bit closer, I'd seriously consider doing this!!
(Hmm, how much is postage from Slovenia to US??)

It's the dark red soap and an orange 'cream', nobody dares to use the soap shampoo either?? (I don't use any shampoo at all..)

I thought I'd LUV Lush too (and loved the shop, and buying waste-free!) but the soaps.. they are vile!! /sigh/
Maybe it's a different factory and different ingredients.. (They vary internationally a bit..)

Do you wash laundry with ordinary soap too? Got a recipe for using castille soap flakes from cousin.. We're still unsure what would be most eco and easiest.. Currently have a bought 'eco gel/liquid' from a health store cause the soapnuts didn't wash the bigger stains so well..