Friday, August 24, 2007

REL4936 rawks

I had to hold off on posting about the REL4936 class this semester, Environmental Ethics and Practices, because I was just so excited after the first class meeting that I knew I would totally spaz all over the blogorama. I'm posting about it now because I'm jazzed on caffeine and getting revved up about it all over again.

It is going to be a very cool semester. I've been neglecting my minor (Religion) and finally decided to start working on it again. Anyway, the semester is a going to be a veritable Disneyworld of environmental consciousness-raising! When the teacher started talking about bicycle commuting I started grinning maniacally -- I hope she doesn't think I'm a freak but you don't often get to talk about bicycle commuting in a classroom environment.

One of the assignments is taking the footprint quiz -- Here is a link to the last one I did, and here is what the footprint of NoImpactMan might look like:

HERE ARE YOUR FOOTPRINT RESULTS:

CATEGORY GLOBAL ACRES
FOOD 2.2
MOBILITY 0
SHELTER 1.7
GOODS/SERVICES 2
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 6

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 GLOBAL ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXISTS 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.3 PLANETS.

Now, truthfully, I haven't explored this NoImpactMan person's life to the extent that I know for sure we would need 1.3 planets if we were a world of NoImpactMans ("mens?") but I think it's pretty close. I encourage anyone wanting to do their own NoImpactMan footprint quiz to take the Earth Day Footprint Quiz at Earthday Network and please email me at tmgnordlie@gmail.com with the results so we can compare results. Oh, yes, and they should also take their own quiz for their very own with the option of sending me those results, as well!

No comments: