Tuesday, August 09, 2011

First Look: Big Belly Solar Compactor (whatever that is)

 Took pictures of this new, strange contraption across the street from campus, near the corner of 15th Street and University Avenue.  Waste Management owns the thing, it looks like a garbage can but it says, "solar compactor."  Does this mean it Harnesses the Power of the Sun™ to tamp down garbage thrown into it, eventually spitting out a small, super-compressed cube of burrito wrappers and day-old french fries?  Is this Wal-E writ large?  So many questions; will have to investigate further.
 Oh wait, that's exactly (well, almost exactly) what it does!  Look at this video from bigbellysolar.com that talks about this fabulous new tool to leave garbage festering in cans for 5 times longer!  But it does it with solar power!











7 comments:

jillian said...

Neat! My family had an electric compactor in the 70s. I don't know whether it came with the house or it was one of my dad's gadget purchases. (We also had a radarange!)

SaraP said...

There's another one next to the bus stop in front of the Main St. Publix :)

Mistressmybae said...

I seem to remember compactors as being gadget-y things to have! A radarange! That's a stove, right? My 70's retro trivia is failing me /sad

@SaraP: Will have to look for that one because that's MY Publix :) Thanks for the tip!

jillian said...

You guys in FL are gadgety! Wonder whether we'll get them here in PA!

A radarange is an early microwave. Probably why I'm going gray early.

Mistressmybae said...

Haha, your dad was an early gadget guy - my friend Pam's dad was the same way and they also had one of the first microwaves when she was growing up. Wow, all this talk about microwaves is making me miss having a microwave! Hm. May be time to reinvest...

jillian said...

My dad was an early adopter from wayyy back. He loved TRS-80s (remember when they used cassettes?), and took me to a computer enthusiasts meeting when I was 9 or so. I was a shy gal, and still remember how uncomfortable I felt when I walked into the library meeting room filled with 40-50 year old men!

You really are eco if you don't have a microwave! Good on you! I still rely on mine way too much.

waste transfer stations said...

Use the tools to open the access panel of the trash compactor. Make certain that all of the wires are properly connected and all the gears are properly in place.