Tuesday, March 08, 2011

10-Dollar Compost Bin x2

So, I reported on my first compost bin a while back (most pertinent posts are here and here) - it cost about 10-bucks at the Walmart because it was a cheap trash can with a locking lid that I drilled a bazillion holes in, cut off the bottom, and stuck it about 6-inches in the ground.  Last year we had to move it to make way for a second raised-bed garden plot, and the Old Man was able to find a new place for the compost bin.  So, after a respite of about 6-months, I've started composting again.

Now, it's become apparent that you need at least TWO of these 10-dollar compost bins in order to be successful in your composting.  Also, some sort of implement to churn the compost in situ would help.  But, anyway, so I need another bin.  That's my next project - I'm not able to do anything right now but hopefully by this weekend I can get started on a new one.

2 comments:

The Good Luck Duck said...

This is interesting - twice today I've read about partially-submerged compost bins. Does yours attract worms (the desirable kind)?

Roxanne

Mistressmybae said...

I'd be interested in hearing about the other information you've found on this type of compost bin. Yes, this bin does allow for worms - but I get the good and bad kind! That's probably because I'm not the most agile or conscientious of composters :)