Thursday, January 01, 2009

Updates for Jan 1, 2009: Happy New Year!

Thought I'd do a blanket update of all the stuff I've been doing:

Update on compost: I just dumped some scraps in the bin and when I began turning it over with the shovel discovered a big, fat earthworm! Yay! I didn't kill my compost.

Update on weaning from deodorants: I don't use the Old Spice as much as I used to, but there are still times when I am completely insecure about the status of my body odor that I do still apply it. I'm pretty much not using anything, now. I think this has been a mixed-bag. Sometimes I get through the day just fine, and other times I really do stink by the end. I still mix up corn starch with a little fragrance oil and that helps wick up the moisture, and I also use a moisturizer stick I made with lavender and other odor-fighting scents to cover up the stink.

Update on washing hair with baking soda and vinegar: I am sooo off the wagon right now. I've been using the old man's shampoo. It's not that the baking soda and vinegar don't work, but I'm really lazy and haven't refilled the bottles I use. I have to find a bottle with a wider mouth to get the baking soda in without making a huge mess.

Update on using cloth handkerchiefs: This has been going pretty well, although I did break down and buy a box of GreenWise recycled paper tissues when DJ had a cold. I've been reaching for them instead of getting up to get a cloth one, and I'm just not going to buy anymore paper tissues after this box is gone. That'll show me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: filling the shampoo bottle w/baking soda... take a piece of paper outta the recycling bin and sorta roll it up into a funnel shape- that will help. you can also use it for the vinegar (for a short time before it gets too wet). :)

or you can buy a funnel- which can be handy in the kitchen unless you want to save on space- if that's the case, then the quick paper trick is the way to go...

Mistressmybae said...

Thanks for the tip, Stace!