Sunday, March 08, 2009

Need-a-Bag? Project Update 03.08.09 Happy Daylight Savings Time!

Note: The Need-a-Bag? project was created to promote sustainable bagging at the Hwy 441 Alachua County Farmer's Market each Saturday morning. We supply reusable tote bags reclaimed from thrift stores and garage sales. The Need-a-Bag? project also utilizes old tank tops as tote bags by sewing up the bottoms (these are called t-totes). We invite you to read the other posts on the project by clicking the "Need-a-Bag? Project" label at the bottom of this post.

It was a beautiful day at the market yesterday and it seems like the crowds have picked up a bit. We changed our labels again -- DG pointed out that the last one was a sentence fragment! Ouch. Anyway, so we've got new labels, and you'll notice the old one next to the new one in one of the photos. The bedazzled label held up pretty well in the wash, but it's a little frayed, and the backing came off and got all gunked up in the dryer, so I had cut it out with scissors so it would lay flat. The bag next to it is a cool Lancome bag DG picked up and got snatched up almost immediately.

So, anyway, we're using iron-on labels instead of bedazzled labels. It was fun and silly and looked very dorky but it is hard to sit around and bedazzle labels all night. I got a craft iron for projects with DJ ("Dude Junior") and ended up using that to iron the cloth labels. It works a lot better than the big iron, and I can even iron on labels on the non-woven polypropylene Publix bags--bonus!

After tussling with a fellow over sharing the last two cartons of strawberries (DG stepped in to keep the peace and gave me one of her containers), I got some yummy salad greens. I've got some sweet potatoes that I bought weeks ago, and I think I'm going to throw those into a potroast today (the roast coming from good old IFAS). Also got some tasty citrus -- I've been trying to buy one bag a week to put in the staff break room at my place of employment, the idea being that we should work harder to prevent scurvy in our co-workers and show them we care about their health and well being.

No comments: