Monday, August 02, 2010

Ginger beer update, 8.1.10

Okay, I know I said I was going to update on Need-a-Bag? and I WILL STOP BUGGING ME

I tried boiling the Kombucha bottles with the caps, but the caps got all warped so I had to hand-wash (thoroughly) four of the unboiled ones in order to cap the four bottles of those.  Then I used mason jars for the rest; the one with the cheese cloth is the new starter batch.  Then I put the whole mess into the workshop where it will sit for two weeks.  Hopefully, they'll go through the process without exploding and/or becoming toxic.  I'll have to be the test subject so I'm picking a time when the family is awake and able to take me to the emergency room if need be.  Haha, only half-joking!

Got the recipe, by the way, from the book Wild Fermentation, and uses no added yeast.

Checked on them yesterday evening, and they were already bubbling away; this morning I checked again and the bubbling was more subdued (it was relatively cool in the workshop) and there was a lot of sediment on the bottom.  Before bottling, I strained the ginger through a piece of unbleached muslin and used filtered water.
Post a Comment