Sunday, August 09, 2009

Goat Cheeze Pleeze: Glades Ridge Goat Dairy

"For Pet Consumption Only -- Not for Human Consumption" has to be one of the funniest jokes I've read on the buckets of yogurt and various cheeses I've seen circulating locally. Bren was the first to point it out to me, on some yogurt she had purchased from Shepard's Hill Farms. Apparently, if the dairy in question is not pasteurized, it's illegal to sell for humans to eat. But it's okay to give to your pet?

Glades Ridge Goat Dairy has started selling their goat cheese products at the Hwy 441 farmers market on Saturdays, and on their labels they make it clear that these things are not for human consumption. But their goat cheese is so tasty! I love to mix it up with fresh basil, oregano, sun-dried tomatoes, and drizzled with a ton of really high-quality olive oil.

My feeling is, if you want to purchase locally produced items, shouldn't you have a say as to what you want to put in your body? Peoples are always screaming about smaller government, so here you go! Wooo! I'm living la vida loca, baby!
Post a Comment