Saturday, November 22, 2008

Need-a-Bag? Project Update 11.22.08

Note: The Need-a-Bag? project was created to promote sustainable bagging at the Hwy 441 Alachua County Farmer's Market each Saturday morning. We supply reusable tote bags reclaimed from thrift stores and garage sales. The Need-a-Bag? project also utilizes old tank tops as tote bags by sewing up the bottoms (these are called t-totes). We invite you to read the other posts on the project by clicking the "Need-a-Bag? Project" label at the bottom of this post.

Thought I'd get the jump on letting three weeks go by before updating on the project -- so, Nyeh! Nyeh! procrastination sprite!

Today was pretty frikkin' cold at the farmer's market -- the old man told me after I had gotten back from my first foray that the g-ville sun website said it was 27-degrees. There were, of course, not that many farmers and people there, but there was tons of lettuce and other delicious produce there. I got me an eggplant and some green beans. At the Sustainability Fair at the farmer's market a few Saturdays ago -- which I helped out at, and if I had a dang camera that worked I would have some decent photos to show you -- the lady who runs Hogtown Homegrown was grilling up some totally bitchin' stuffed eggplant and THAT I have got to try. When I asked the fam what they wanted their eggplant stuffed with, they resounding cry was for meat -- is the cold that bad that we have to have so much protein? Forget that noise -- I'm making some of that pesto/sundried tomato/mozzarella mess that lady was stuffing the eggplant with. And maybe an almond crust, I dunno.

We have a bunch of new bags to throw into the mix but did we bring them? No! Of course not, because I ran out of the printable fabric and the last three labels I had got thrown into some pile somewhere in the many pile-boluses in the house and I couldn't find them five minutes before leaving the house this morning. Oh well. But we'll have more fabulous baggage next weekend if I can get it together enough to go to Le JoAnn's to buy some more labelage. Until then, market denizens will have to choose from a fine selection of t-totes.

And today I went back to the farmer's market at Need-a-Bag? Project closing time, to help intrepid Need-a-Bag? Project Associate bag-putter-awayer, Stace, get the bags safely stashed in the Farmer's Market shed. We here at the Need-a-Bag? Project like to make sure our fellow associates are taken care of -- so Stace bought me a chai-latte afterwards and made sure I was comfortable in a nice, sunny nook of the coffee house. That's how we roll!

A big shout-out to Stace's mom, by the way, for getting us a bunch of new bags and to Stace, who snagged a couple of sweet bags left "for free" at her workplace!

I cannot thank Stace enough for braving the cold tundra of I-441 each Saturday morning while Need-a-Bag? Project Associate Erika gets the much needed rest she deserves before descending on the farmer's market in December with fine and tasty citrus. You rock, Stace!!!

Also, when putting away bags this morning, two more bags just suddenly showed up! I looked around for Need-a-Bag? Project Associate Jean, but hopefully she was somewhere warm...so where did these come from??? Oh joy! Oh rapture! I do so love the sweet surprise of finding new bags that someone has taken the time to donate to the project. These are those cool, European-style string market bags, and one was from the Environmental Defense Fund. Bedazzling labels on these guys is going to be a challenge, but who cares??!

No comments: