Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hankie-Pankie -- Not Just for Presidential Candidates Anymore!

Just a quick post about this hankie holder I made awhile back. My original intention was to use it with cloth handkerchiefs. It's cloth on the outside with a plastic liner. I made the holder and then used it with paper tissues instead! I'd take tissues from the box and fold them up. I didn't have the wherewithal to make any hankies for it.

Then, the other day I had an epiphany. I already had the hankies, they were DJ's old diaper wipes when I did cloth diapers for about 5 minutes when he was a baby. These are really nice, organic flannel squares, serged all around. They're really sturdy, and are the perfect size. As you can see in the photo, I have them rolled up on one side and as I use them, I place them in the other compartment, and then from there I just dump the whole thing into the wash.

How am I doing with them? The results are mixed right now. Not being the season where I'm sniffling constantly, and I'm still reaching for toilet paper or napkins when I need to use a hankie. It's a habit I have to break, and I think as the winter comes and I start needing to use handkerchiefs, the true test of whether I can successfully switch from paper hankies to cloth will occur.

No comments: