Sunday, July 08, 2007

More about hair washing with baking soda and vinegar

Haven't been washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner for about 2 weeks, now. DG says I go "back out" by using castile soap on it when I shower after a workout at the gym but I disagree. So far, using baking soda and vinegar has not been that difficult. The results are not optimal from the standpoint of someone who's used shampoos forever, but they're nothing to sneeze at, either. My hair feels fuller but I haven't gotten that magical "don't need to shampoo ever again" look--my hair still ends up looking kinda greasy after a couple of days. Good thing I pull it back in a severe pony tail (hm, can ponytails be "severe?").

Anyway, here's a Simple Living blog entry about weaning from shampoo. This is a cool blog because it focuses on reducing personal emissions by 90% -- yow! There's more great stuff on this site including other cool blogs so will have to investigate further.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are completely going back out!

Also: did you ever consider that maybe the reason it gets greasy is that you're totally stripping it with that demonic castile soap?? Here is a fantastic link:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/
matthew_parris/article670388.ece

This dude does not even wash his hair at all. He just rinses it in warm water. And yet he is a famous Limey journalist!

My hair doesn't feel greasy, quite. It sortof feels... not as slick? It has more of what they call body, but it feels all weird. Actually just now it feels fine; maybe my head has finally adjusted (see link). Anyway, at first it felt all crazy. I think either shamps or conditioner or the combo of the two do something to the texture that's appealing. Weirdly, my hair stays looking clean longer with the baking soda wash. But in the beginning--like for weeks--it didn't FEEL right.

Diagnosis: your scalp can't adjust because you keep castile-ing it. Plus, I don't do the vinegar rinse because it is a PIA. Maybe try without--see if it makes a diff?

Mistressmybae said...

See, I don't think castile has all the nastiness of reg shamps so using it maybe 1-2x/wk when I shower at the gym wouldn't be THAT much of a problem. But, advice taken D., I'll stop with the castile and see what happety haps. Um, what is "PIA?"