Monday, October 17, 2011

Saving water as marketing appeal

I posted this on Facebook over the weekend, from a recent shopping trip to Walmart; Suave has a new ad campaign for their line of natural shampoo and conditioners and I found it interesting that they use water conservation as a way to market their products.  The sign says, "Turn off the tap: Your family can save up to $100 dollars per year by turning off the water when you shampoo and condition."  So, it's an appeal to economic rather than ecologic savings, but it's still kind of fascinating to think that this may be a new marketing meme in a really bad economy.  Put on your Jimmy Carter cardigan and turn down the thermostat, folks, it's 1977 all over again.


I guess it's a start and I really shouldn't complain, even though I sorely want to.  I will say this, however; if people are impressed about saving 100-dollars in a year by turning off the tap in between rinses of your shampoo regimen, think about how you could triple or quadruple those savings by not showering every single day


Thanks to Osha Gray Davidson for his Forbes digression from electric vehicles to explain the significance of the Jimmy Carter cardigan for the youngs.

4 comments:

Ana Carneiro said...

I love this post. Unfortunately, where I live there isn't much water in the summer and so we all value water a great deal (we use it mostly to water the plants and the garden).

Subscribed you, please subscribe me!

http://myveryownoneyearproject.blogspot.com/

Mistressmybae said...

Hi Ana, thanks for commenting - I couldn't find a link to follow so I just put you in my blogroll :)

Theresa Peralta said...

Saving the environment can be achieved even through simple acts like turning off the tap water. The impact of little acts of kindness to the environment eventually adds up for the good of everybody.

K.G. Sunshine said...

I pretty much am in love with your blog. I feel like you are down to Earth and real about things. I look forward to more!!