Monday, October 17, 2011

Is there an ethical engagement ring?

I was just reading a Mother Jones Econundrum article by Kate Sheppard entitled, "How Do I Buy an Ethical Engagement Ring?"  These types of articles make me a little meshuggeneh because they always gloss over the most obvious fixes for this type of "problem," if you can really call it that; the main solution is to just not buy anything. 

Sheppard talks about how buying an engagement ring problematizes her role as a feminist as well as a human rights activist and environmentalist.  I'm sure you've seen at least the trailer for Blood Diamond which in its Hollywood way exposes the human cost of mining precious stones in banana republics, or are at least aware of the issues involved in buying precious stones like diamonds, and are also called "conflict diamonds" because they help fund the bloody wars that rage through Africa.  Here's a website for Global Witness, one of the first organizations to bring this issue to the fore, and which Ms. Sheppard references in her article.  But alternative stones and ethical diamond merchants are not at issue here at all.

Do you need an engagement ring at all?  I'm kind of a hypocrite here, because I have a wedding ring but we never got around to the engagement ring, and so maybe I'm just jealous, but there are other options; I should add that Ms. Sheppard points these out towards the end of her article, like finding vintage or antique rings which would be the way I would go and I felt should have been more prominently suggested.  This brings me to the biggest reason why I'm making a half-hearted attempt to criticize this article; the utter excess that it continues to perpetrate in the engagement ritual. 

Ms. Sheppard herself feels conflicted by the whole thing and rightly so; being a modern, new millenium-woman she should feel this twinge of unease at the prospect of telling her readers that it's okay to have these conflicts but still go ahead and continue an outdated form of ownership identification.  And more than just the ritual itself, it's the money spent behind the whole idea that makes it just so excessive and unnecessary.  This is a really, really bad economy and to post articles on something that most Americans cannot even think about right now is really a disservice to Mother Jones hippies like myself, and young people who look to lefty rags like MJ to help them make informed decisions about the political world around them.

3 comments:

Isobel said...

I have been looking for an ethical engagement ring for a while now, so reading Ms Sheppard's article was of interest to me. What actually bothers me is that jewellers here in the UK seem to have such little knowledge of the issues surrounding ethical jewellery, even those who purport to make it.

I looked at the top referred sites on google, and actually read a really good article on a makers site where they chose NOT to get involved in fairtrade / fairmined gold for several good reasons - their article is about ethical engagement ringsand is very in depth. Once furnished with the principles by this article, I then did some of my own research and found they are right.

Regarding diamonds, they have a policy on that too which seems comprehensive - other jewellers in the UK don't seem to have the knowledge about these issues at all in the same way. Yes they can simply regurgitate what we already know, but that seems to be geared towards selling to you rather than actually being well thought out. Anyway, I have contacted these guys as I feel confident they know what they're doing.

Good luck to anyone else looking for an ethical engagement ring.
Isobel

Mistressmybae said...

Isobel, so glad you found the articles informative and you were able to slog through the web-morass to find the answers you need. Personally, I would get either get a vintage ring (and in England there are probably *tons* of them scattered around), or get a family heirloom ring and have a jeweler make a new setting for the stone.

In any case, have a great marriage!

Ethical engagement rings said...

The UK fashion industry has made a huge impact on the world. The UK rings collection according to me leads among all the others Ethical wedding rings manufacturers all round the world. The antique design modification in the rings are also very awesome in UK.