Monday, February 25, 2008

Update on Weaning from Deodorants and Shampoo, February

Well, I was reading Tracy of The Glom Shelter's post on her efforts at DIY health and beauty aids and realized that I am long overdue for the same.

Deodorants: I have had to end my use of the crystal deodorant because my underarms would break out in a terrible rash. In the beginning it was fine and amazing, because it worked, and then I had to stop because my body just said "no more." Tracy's suggestion to use a mixture of baking soda and corn starch has been a life-saver. I did use the beloved Old Spice once, after I finally admitted that I would no longer be able to use the crystal, but it just didn't have the same appeal after almost a year of living without it.

For Christmas, DG got me an all natural deodorant from Lush -- it's basically a lump of baking soda, but you rub it under your arms and it really, really works. So, I'll be using that for awhile because it's already, let's see, almost March and I've hardly made a dent in it.

Shampoos: I'm still using baking soda with a cider vinegar rinse, but have been supplementing that with another Christmas gift from DG, also from Lush, the shampoo bar. That will also last me about a year because it makes crazy suds from just a couple of rubs on the head.

2 comments:

Tracy G said...

Excellent! I should give the Lush shampoo bar a try. I don’t think the baking soda and vinegar will work for me due to the dryness of my hair (one of several midlife perimenopausal developments, oh joy). I like the earth-friendly natural shampoos from Aubrey Organics and also Goth Rosary, but they're both sold in plastic bottles that have to be recycled.

Mistressmybae said...

at least try it -- Susan gave me two of the shamps bars and I gave her one back because the one I've been using has, quite literally, not shrunk a bit since I started using it in December. I think the one I gave her smells better tho', and that one's called the Godiva bar. I don't remember what mine was called but it's green and makes my hair smell like a Pixi Stix. I'm not saying that's such a bad thing.