Saturday, February 09, 2008

Tiny Texas Houses

During our need-a-bag romp this morning, DG told me about Tiny Texas Houses. The name is as it suggests -- they are tiny houses being built in Texas. Above is the 12' x 20' Victorian-style cottage. It is actually larger than some of their offerings. Here is a link to a page with just pictures and some explanation of their business.

And get this -- they use 95% recycled materials in the contruction -- the only stuff that's new is electric and plumbing.

How much space does someone need? That seems to be the question begging to be answered by these houses. Now, I can see a bed and breakfast buying up one or two of these to use as additional rooms to rent off the main house. But, could you see yourself living in one of these? I don't know if I could, but they sure are pretty darn cute.

DG and I got to talking about Tiny Texas Houses because I was sharing my wish/daydream for a writing shed in the backyard, for when I reach my dotage and DJ has left for college (and both will probably happen simultaneously). My idea was to have a simple shed with one or two walls made just from screen, and a loft for sleeping. There is, apparently, a Tiny Texas House that comes with a loft, and that would be perfect, but in the Florida weather I really need some screen to let a breeze in every now and then. Plus, I could install a solar attic fan to draw up air. DG's idea was to buy a plot of land and put 4 or 5 Tiny Texas Houses on the property, one for living, one for writing, one for guests, and one for parties. It would probably cost about the same as one McMansion (TTH's cost between 35-55k).

2 comments:

Tracy G said...

I love tiny houses, and that one’s cute as the dickens! If it was well-designed and highly organized, I could happily live as a single person in a space as small as 250–300 sq. ft.

With a spouse and two parrots, though? No way. I mean, I love my guys dearly and all that but...a second person would likely need another 200–250 sq. ft. for comfort, and the parrots would probably require another 100 sq. ft. In the wild, those birds would be flying and foraging through the rain forest, and it’s not very kind or fair to keep ’em in overly cramped spaces without toys and play gyms for proper exercise. Anyhow, I’d think that 600 sq. ft. would be the absolute minimum for us, and 750 sq. ft. would be close to ideal.

We actually live in 990 sq. ft., which we bought in 1992 for $42,500. It’s a 1920 bungalow that’s very well constructed (not a fixer-upper, but a genuinely livable home). Can’t beat that for reuse. I know housing prices vary from region to region, but I’m kinda stunned that they’re asking more for those itty-bitty Texas places than we paid for our entire house plus the lot it’s on. I’d have to read further about the materials they’re using, but they sound a little overpriced.

It sure would be fun to have a little collection of ’em, though. I can see that working very well.

Mistressmybae said...

You know, that's a good point re: the price of the TTH. In Florida, believe it or not, that is still a bargain.

The bigger issue lies in the fact that you and I paid comparable amounts for our homes, but (and I speak for the housing market in Florida), you could basically only get a TTH in 2008 for the amount my husband and I paid in 1997. With the housing market for new and old homes completely out of step with the working wages of many Americans, more and more of us continue to rent when we should be buying first homes. Thinking about alternative housing is a way to not only create a more sustainable life, but also a way to bring to light some of the inequities that we have at the present time.