Monday, August 02, 2010

Ginger beer update, 8.1.10

Okay, I know I said I was going to update on Need-a-Bag? and I WILL STOP BUGGING ME

I tried boiling the Kombucha bottles with the caps, but the caps got all warped so I had to hand-wash (thoroughly) four of the unboiled ones in order to cap the four bottles of those.  Then I used mason jars for the rest; the one with the cheese cloth is the new starter batch.  Then I put the whole mess into the workshop where it will sit for two weeks.  Hopefully, they'll go through the process without exploding and/or becoming toxic.  I'll have to be the test subject so I'm picking a time when the family is awake and able to take me to the emergency room if need be.  Haha, only half-joking!

Got the recipe, by the way, from the book Wild Fermentation, and uses no added yeast.

Checked on them yesterday evening, and they were already bubbling away; this morning I checked again and the bubbling was more subdued (it was relatively cool in the workshop) and there was a lot of sediment on the bottom.  Before bottling, I strained the ginger through a piece of unbleached muslin and used filtered water.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

How did this turn out?! When can you start drinking it? I've always wanted to do this...

Mistressmybae said...

Hi Kelli! It's got about another week to go in the workshop and then I'll chill and try. I took a photo of one of the mason jars yesterday that I'll post soon but here's my impression: It was a lot less cloudy (but has about an inch of sediment on the bottom), and had a ginger yellow color with very thin bubbles rising to the top. One of the caps on the mason jars dented out so I'm thinking that carbonation is not going to be a problem!

Thanks for asking and I'll be sure to update soon!