Monday, July 26, 2010

Ginger Beer!

I tried making beer once and it was an abysmal failure -- even though it was a Mr. Beer kit I picked up at a garage sale, I just could not get it going.  Maybe it was that the ingredients were old.  Also, trying to make beer with your 7 year-old son may SEEM like a fun, family activity, but it is not.

So, now I'm going to try ginger beer.  I have a thing for ginger beer -- it's great on really hot days (like now) and I like my ginger beer more on the gingery side, rather than the sweet side.  So when I was hanging at Bren's the other day (for the food coop, which I'll get to in another post), I saw this book on different things you can make from fermented things.  I decided to try my hand at ginger beer.

I googled "ginger bug" the starter you make for ginger beer (I've one started in the workshop, where it is warm), and found this great eco blog, Sustainableeats, that talks about the process for ginger bugs -- I think this person is making rhubarb soda but I didn't really read it all the way through).

No comments: