Saturday, June 12, 2010

Need-a-Bag Project Update 06.12.10 -- Hope and Change

Note: The Need-a-Bag? project was created to promote sustainable bagging at the Hwy 441 Alachua County Farmer's Market each Saturday morning. We supply reusable tote bags reclaimed from thrift stores and garage sales. The Need-a-Bag? project also utilizes old tank tops as tote bags by sewing up the bottoms (these are called t-totes). We invite you to read the other posts on the project by clicking the "Need-a-Bag? Project" label at the bottom of this post.

DG is out of town this week so I went to the market with my supply of polyprop bags; some kind soul (probably Jean) dropped off three bags on the fence and I took this photo of the nicest one -- it wasn't the biggest or the most colorful, but it was definitely the most cheerful and positive.  Look at all the positive sayings it has hand-written all over it!  I call it the Hopey-Changey bag; it was quickly snatched up by someone who shared my belief in the powerful messages this bag holds.

As I was putting bags on the fence, a woman came up and asked if these were for free, and I replied that they were indeed for free and she could help herself.  She showed me her own reusable bag and said she was fine but was interested in learning more about the project.  I told her that me and my friend started doing this project two years ago and we bring out reusable bags for people to use.  The woman, who was with her daughter, asked if people bring the bags back when they're done.  I said "well, that's the theory, but we generally just end up putting out more bags."  The daughter was looking at me like I was some kind of hippie communist, and the woman was polite but ready to move on with her day.  Oh well, some people will get it and some people won't, I think. 

The market was hopping again, as usual, but the bag numbers are staying consistent; I put out 11 bags and by the time I left about half were still remaining.

No comments: